Call 225.925.TAX8

Watching Over What Counts – Your Trusted Tax Partner

What to do if you receive an incorrect (or don’t receive) Form W-2 or Form 1099-R

Employers/payers should have issued  such information documents by January 31 . If you do not receive your Form W-2 or Form 1099-R by January 31, or your information is incorrect on these forms, contact your employer/payer.

If you do not receive the missing or corrected form by February 14 from your employer/payer, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 for assistance. When you call, you will need to have the following information available: your name, address (including ZIP code), phone number, and social security number. You will also need to provide your employer/payer’s name, address (including ZIP code), and phone number, employer identification number (if known), an estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and your dates of employment.   Your last pay statement will be helpful in gathering this information.   After February 14, the IRS will contact the employer/payer for you and request the missing form.

Meanwhile, contact Eagle Eye Tax Solutions to assist you with Form 4852 (PDF), Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.

If you do not receive the missing form in sufficient time to file your tax return timely, we will  use the Form 4852 to complete your return. If you receive the missing or corrected Form W-2 or Form 1099-R after you file your return and a correction is needed, we will amend the return.

About the Author

ShantaView all posts by Shanta