Call 225.925.TAX8

Watching Over What Counts – Your Trusted Tax Partner

Higher Education Expenses

By Shanta on August 26, 2014 in Uncategorized
Each year the cost of tuition for a higher education continues to go up.   Parents and individuals investing in higher education deserve a break.   A financial break by way of an education credit or deduction on their income tax return would definitely help.   Did you know if you pay for the cost of higher education for yourself, your spouse, or your dependent child, you may be eligible to  save money at tax time.  In most cases you may qualify for a refund.

There are two tax credits that help offset the costs associated with higher education (tuition, fees, books, supplies, equipment).

  • The American Opportunity Credit allows you to claim up to $2,500 per student per year for the first four years of school as the student works toward a degree or similar credential.
  • The Lifetime Learning Credit allows you to claim up to $2,000 per student per year for any college or career school tuition and fees, as well as for books, supplies, and equipment that were required for the course and had to be purchased from the school.

Even if you normally wouldn’t file a tax return because of your income level, be sure to do so! If you don’t, you’ll miss out on tax credits that may put money in your pocket.  You won’t know unless you file.

Qualified Tuition Programs (QTPs; also known as 529 Plans)

A QTP/529 plan is established by a state or school so that you can either prepay or save up to pay education-related expenses. Once you’re in college or career school and you withdraw money from your account to pay your education expenses, the money you withdraw will not be taxed. Learn more about Louisiana 529 plan (START). To find out whether the college you plan to attend participates in a QTP, ask the financial aid or admissions staff.

Student Loan Interest Deduction

You can take a tax deduction for the interest paid on student loans that you took out for yourself, your spouse, or your dependent. This benefit applies to all loans (not just federal student loans) used to pay for higher education expenses. The maximum deduction is $2,500 a year.

Using IRA Withdrawals for College Costs

  • You may withdraw from an IRA to pay higher education expenses for yourself, your spouse, your child, or your grandchild.
  • You will owe federal income tax on the amount withdrawn, but won’t be subject to the early withdrawal penalty.

About the Author

ShantaView all posts by Shanta